Thursday, October 21, 2010

I love handwriting!



I love teaching every part of Kindergarten but if I had to choose 2 of my favorite things to teach, I would choose handwriting and reading. Handwriting, at the beginning of the kindergarten year, can be trying but it is always amazing how quickly they develop. We use the Handwriting Without Tears program. I have been teaching this program for about 6 years so I know it like the back of my hand but the one difficult thing about it is the 2 line paper. It is a challenge to teach without a top line but it can be done and it can be done well.
I am currently working on an action research project for part of my professional development this year that will focus on handwriting. I am always looking for great books, articles, blogs, and any examples of different ways to teach handwriting. I am also constantly searching for research on the importance of teaching/learning handwriting and it's effects on other areas of growth. If you come across any resources you think are great, please share them with me. I want to have a great action research project but I also want to become well-versed in handwriting research for my own personal growth. I hope you all enjoy teaching handwriting as much as I do. It is an important skill that will be used long into the future...even if we to type most of what we share these days!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, you love teaching handwriting, huh? I have to say it's pretty frustrating for me. I would love to hear a little more about how you implement your handwriting process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Latte Mama - I haven't been on my blog lately so I just saw your post. Sorry to take so long to get back with you. I will tell you, I have my frustrating moments with handwriting. I combat it by doing as much small group handwriting as possible. Especially the first semester, whole group handwriting is just a mess. I am rarely happy with the results but is must be done. When I work with them in small groups, though, and I can talk them through it, I feel like I am accomplishing something. I have much better results with whole group the second semester. I am also a stickler for the handwriting lingo. We use Handwriting Without Tears so I only use that lingo with my students. Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to help you if I can!

    ReplyDelete